Summer is officially here June 21, which means many of you will be breaking out the swimmies, boogie boards and beach umbrellas to gear up for vacation. While you’re busy packing, don’t forget to prepare your house for vacation too. There are several important security and property measures to take before traveling to your favorite destination.
Be Safe, Not Sorry:
- Make your house look lived-in to avoid burglaries, such as stopping the newspaper or asking a neighbor to pick up your mail.
- Lock all windows, doors and set the security system.
- Leave on a security light while turning off all others.
- Notify your credit card company that you will not be in town.
- Leave emergency contact info with a neighbor.
Prep Your Property for Vacation:
- Unplug small appliances and electrical devices.
- Turn off water valves to the sink and appliances like the dishwasher and washing machine.
- Set the water heater to “vacation mode” so that it runs less and saves energy.
- Set the thermostat to 85 degrees, but no hotter to protect your furniture, plants and pets.
- Run your kitchen sink disposal with vinegar or lemon to remove unwanted scents.
- Take out the trash and dispose of perishable food.
Hopefully these few tips will help you feel at ease about leaving your home and allow you to fully enjoy this year’s vacation. If you experience any property damage caused by water, fire, mold or storms, Call Paul! We’re available 24/7 for all of your restoration, reconstruction and remodeling needs.